Celebrating the cultural diversity of the Hudson Valley.
The following listing of historic sites is provided for reference purposes only. Visitors to this website who are interested in more information about a particular site should contact the individual site. While this page is updated frequency, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information displayed.
Historic Sites in the Mid-Hudson Valley
Upper Landing, Poughkeepsie
From a plaque at the property: "This plaque is a tribute to over 200 years of this landing's utilization, first as a mill site at the Fallkill by Dutch settlers c.1700, and soon after as a working commercial dock. Hoffman House was built c.1740-1780 as a residence, and by 1800 became home to the families that used the Landing for mercantile pursuits during the Industrial Revolution. Reynolds House c.1820 served dual purposes as a residence and general store at the hub of shipping and passenger services."
The Beatrix Farrand Garden Association (BFGA) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the Beatrix Farrand Garden at Bellefield in Hyde Park, New York, and educating the public about Farrand, one of America’s most important landscape designers. As the earliest existing example of her private work, the garden at Bellefield is a striking illustration of Farrand’s masterful design, presented in an intimate and accessible setting. As a living testament to Farrand’s influential horticultural legacy – not only as a designer, but as the world’s first female landscape architect – the garden provides an ideal platform to tell this pioneering woman’s story through lectures, tours and educational programs. Bellefield is located on the property of the Roosevelt-Vanderbilt National Historic Sites, and the Beatrix Farrand Garden Association maintains a close working relationship with the National Park Service.
Gomez Mill House, Highland
website * map
In 1714, Early American Jewish leader, Luis Moses Gomez, built a fieldstone blockhouse to conduct trade and maintain provisions on his 6500 acre property in the Mid-Hudson region as an extension of his successful enterprises in Colonial New York. From these roots and through nearly 300 years of American history, Gomez Mill House evolved as home to American Revolutionary patriot and Orange County leader, Wolfert Acker; 19th century gentleman farmer and conservationist, William Henry Armstrong; Arts and Crafts artisan and paper historian Dard Hunter; and 20th century social activist, Martha Gruening.
In 1894, descendants of the twelve original New Paltz Patentees established the Huguenot Patriotic, Historical and Monumental Society. Five years later, they purchased the Jean Hasbrouck House to hold their ancestral relics and displays of colonial life. Artifacts and papers were collected over the years, but it was not until the 1950s that the Society began a sizeable expansion. Kenneth Hasbrouck, the director at that time, traveled around the country, meeting with family descendants, encouraging them to support his vision of a street of stone houses preserved in their original village setting, to create their own affiliated family associations and establish HHS as a major genealogical and historical repository. He also worked with these family associations to assist in the purchase of, and continued maintenance of, their ancestral homes. The Freer House, the first such purchase, was acquired in 1955. By 1974, nine family Associations had been formed, seven houses with their outbuildings had been acquired, and the 1717 church had been reconstructed near its original site. In 1964, Huguenot Street was designated as a National Historic Landmark District by the National Park Service.
Overlooking the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie New York, the 200-acre Locust Grove Estate includes an Italianate villa designed in 1851 by architect Alexander Jackson Davis for artist and inventor Samuel F. B. Morse. Today the estate, with miles of carriage roads, landscaped grounds, historic gardens and Hudson River views, is a not-for-profit museum and nature preserve established by Annette Innis Young, whose inherited collections of art and antiques are exhibited in the mansion’s 25 rooms.
Located in a residential area of Poughkeepsie, New York, Maple Grove is part of a collection of farm estates which once lined South Road (Route 9). The mansion was built in 1850, and despite being unoccupied since 1955 and enduring a serious fire in 1985, Maple Grove has managed a somewhat miraculous survival. Reconstruction and restoration efforts have begun and an appropriate new use is being sought for this beautiful building. As you learn about the history of Maple Grove, its residents, and its location, we invite you to imagine not only what it was in the past, but what it can be in the future. Maple Grove is located on the property of the St. Simeon senior housing complex in Poughkeepsie.